BOQ & cost estimation

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on BOQ & cost estimation. I’m currently working on a construction project and I need to prepare a BOQ and cost estimate. I’m not sure where to start or what information I need to include.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Here are some of the questions I have:

What is a BOQ?
What information should be included in a BOQ?
How do I calculate the cost of a project?
What are some common mistakes to avoid when preparing a BOQ and cost estimate?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

1 Like

Hello Matt.

I will be more than happy to answer some of your queries

BOQ stands for Bill of Quantities. It is a document commonly used in construction and engineering projects to provide a detailed breakdown of the quantities, measurements, and descriptions of the various items of work required for the project.

The BOQ serves as a basis for estimating project costs, and tendering, and as a reference during the construction phase.

Here is the information typically included in a BOQ:

• Item Description: Each item of work is listed and described in detail, including specifications, materials, and methods.

• Quantity: The quantities of each item needed for the project are specified, such as the number of units, length, area, volume, weight, etc.

• Unit of Measurement: The unit in which the quantity is measured is provided, such as meters, square meters, cubic meters, kilograms, etc.

• Rate: The rate or price per unit of each item is included. This can be based on market rates, historical data, or specific agreements.

• Total Cost: The total cost for each item is calculated by multiplying the quantity with the rate.

• Summary: The BOQ typically includes a summary section that provides a breakdown of the total cost for different sections or work packages within the project, such as civil works, electrical works, plumbing works, etc.

• Provisional Sums: If certain aspects of the project are not fully defined or the quantities cannot be accurately determined at the time of preparing the BOQ, provisional sums may be included to account for these uncertainties.

• Contingency: A contingency amount may be included to allow for unforeseen events or changes that may arise during the project. This is typically a percentage of the total cost.

• Notes: Any additional instructions, clarifications, or assumptions relevant to the BOQ are included in the notes section.

It’s important to note that the specific format and details included in a BOQ may vary depending on the project requirements, contractual agreements, and industry practices. A professional quantity surveyor or estimator is typically responsible for preparing the BOQ

To calculate the cost of a project you can use 5D BIM methodology. In case if you aren’t aware what it is, you can refer to this article 5D BIM For Project Cost Estimation to understand it.

I hope this information will resolve some of your queries!

Hi @steinryan28

I’m glad that the information provided helpful to me. Much appreciated!!