Does nD BIM exists?

How many dimensions we can consider for BIM. I recently read this article, which says we cannot have more than 4D for BIM.

Koutamanis, A., 2020, Dimensionality in BIM: Why BIM cannot have more than four dimensions?, Automation in Construction 114 (2020) 103153, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.autcon.2020.103153

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sara

Itā€™s a great question - I believe dimensions were originally developed for vulgarisation purposes (havenā€™t read the article yetā€¦). That being said, we have identified 8 dimensional space : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight-dimensional_space :slight_smile:

In the end itā€™s a question of creating common understanding. Thanks for the share!

3 Likes

Dear Sara
I just did an article for my PhD about this topic. Just to get things right: Never ever use just these dimensions! :wink: We had several projects where project managers just ordered these dimensions, which turned out to be quite costly.

1 Like

Dear Adrian,
Thanks for your insight, and sharing your research experience. Nice paper!
I totally agree with you and Erik, that BIM has more dimensions. I was thinking of inviting the authors of this paper, to discuss this study further in detail !?!
Best,
Sara

1 Like

Hi Sara,
In my perspective, having worked with 3D BIM and 4D schedules, 5D estimation and controlling, now working with data for FM in relation to models, there are way too many use cases to use the simplified dimensions.
The nD can be good for buzz, getting engaged with clients and starting a dialogue about why to do it and what to define as a goal, but not as a standalone definition.

2 Likes

Totally agree, Andreas, this is - I apologize - nowadays more or less BS buzzword bingo.

1 Like

Hi @Sara
I would like to share my thoughts on it. hope this will helpful for you!!

When it comes to Building Information Modeling (BIM), the number of dimensions that can be considered depends on the context and the specific needs of the project. While it is common to refer to BIM in terms of 3D and 4D, itā€™s important to note that BIM can actually encompass more dimensions.

Thanks,
Matt

Traditionally, BIM is associated with three dimensions (3D) because it allows for the creation of a virtual representation of the physical building, including its geometry, spatial relationships, and visual attributes. However, BIM can extend beyond that.

4D BIM adds the element of time to the model, enabling the visualization and simulation of construction sequencing and scheduling. This dimension helps with project planning, phasing, and identifying potential clashes or conflicts in the construction process.

Itā€™s worth mentioning that BIM can also incorporate other dimensions, such as:

5D BIM: This dimension incorporates cost estimation and project scheduling, linking cost data with the project elements and schedule. It enables the analysis of the projectā€™s financial aspects, including cost forecasting, resource allocation, and budget management.

6D BIM: The sixth dimension focuses on sustainability and energy analysis. It involves integrating data related to the buildingā€™s energy performance, energy consumption, and environmental impact. 6D BIM helps in assessing the buildingā€™s efficiency, identifying energy-saving opportunities, and evaluating its environmental footprint.

7D BIM: This dimension pertains to facilities management and asset lifecycle information. It includes data on the operation, maintenance, and management of the building throughout its entire lifecycle. This information aids in facilities management, space utilization, maintenance planning, and asset tracking.

While the concept of dimensions beyond 4D is gaining traction, the adoption and implementation of these dimensions may vary depending on the project requirements, industry practices, and available technologies.

Remember, the application of dimensions in BIM is flexible, and itā€™s essential to adapt them according to project goals and requirements.

@Sara,

here in Brazil, we have the ā€œBIM Forum Brasilā€ (https://www.bimforum.org.br/) with a project called ā€œBIM Forum Explains,ā€ in which one of the videos covers this topic.

Here is the link,
BIM FĆ³rum Explica #04 - DimensoĢƒes x Usos do BIM - YouTube,

You can enable captions and request automatic translation (English) to aid in understanding.

I hope this helps =)

Best regards,